I promised I would write more about grilled cheese, and here I am! The real reason for this post is that I actually have pursued my quest to find the best grilled cheese out there, and I might as well share my findings along the way.
This past week I began experimenting, and on Saturday night I crafted two lovely sandwiches containing an exciting common ingredient: apples!
Apples and cheese make a wonderful pair, and so far I’ve successfully created two versions of the apple/grilled cheese combo.
Grilled Cheese #1: Let’s French
This sexy sandwich (pictured dramatically above) is filled with only three ingredients: brie, apple slices, and honey. It’s incredibly simple but tastes absolutely magnificent.
First, a disclaimer: I hate when sandwich recipes tell me what kind of bread to use, because usually I only have one kind of bread in my house, and the sandwich is probably going to taste damn good no matter what bread I put it on. So I will make a suggestion, but by no means do you need to follow my advice. Because I’m not an asshole who tells you what bread to buy.
Alright, now for the recipe.
- Pick your bread! (I recommend a rustic white with a crispy crust. The crust is the most important part, so really anything crusty will work.)
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Thinly slice apples (about 1/8 inch thick). I prefer to leave the skin on, but it doesn’t really matter.
- Thinly slice some brie cheese (about as thick as the apples). It won’t melt as well if the slices are too fat.
- Assemble! Arrange brie on one slice of bread (un-buttered side) to cover the entire slice. Arrange apple slices on top of cheese. Drizzle some honey over apples and top with second slice of bread (buttered side out).
- Cook! Heat a pan over medium heat. (Cast iron works perfectly for this.) Place the sandwich in the pan and put something heavy on top to weigh it down (such as a pie plate or another cast iron). Cook until one side is brown and crispy, then flip and do the same on the other side.
And voila! You’ve got yourself a damn good sandwich.
I decided one sandwich wasn’t enough on this occasion, so I made a second. Presenting, the other apple grilled cheese sandwich!
Grilled Cheese #2: Cheddah is bettah
This sexy sandwich is comprised of two of life’s happiest ingredients: cheddar cheese and apples. Holy yum!
I’m a bit drunk and don’t have any other exciting comments, so here’s the recipe:
- Pick your bread! (Again. Do what you will. The recipe I found said pumpernickel, I used a rustic white. Be yourself. Do you.)
- Butter one side of each slice.
- Grate some cheddar cheese. You could use sliced cheddar, but grated is “grate” too! (HAHA PUNS.)
- Thinly slice apples (about 1/8 inch thick). Again, skin is fine, but if you don’t like it feel free to peel them.
- Suuuuuper thinly slice some onion. Red onion is probably best, but I used yellow and it was just fine. Make ’em skinny, though.
- Assemble! Sprinkle a bit of cheese on one (un-buttered) slice of toast. Top with thinly sliced onions. Top with sliced apples. Top with some freshly ground pepper. Add the rest of the grated cheese and top with the second slice of bread (buttered side out).
- Cook! Same as above, put it in a pan (cast-iron suggested) and top with something heavy. Once the first side is nicely browned, flip it over.
So there you have it. Two excellent grilled cheese options with apples! I served mine with a nice arugula-tomato-avocado salad (with a light vinaigrette) and a Hermann’s Dark Lager from Vancouver Island Brewing.
[Next time on Christina’s Drunk Adventures] I’m drunk! And baking! You’re probably going to hear about that pretty shortly here. Also I’m making a podcast???!!!????